He don't have a heart. I just keep feeding him shells. He gets it poppin' in the hood, so his name ring bells.

1.10.2006

Game: Deflexion


Well, the 2006 rededication of the blog has begun, and I will write about the coolest geek toy in my possession at the moment: Deflexion. And that is no slam on my recently acquired Russel and Noodle figures by KidRobot; its just that Deflexion has to be one of the coolest toys I have ever owned. On the surface, it seems awesome enough: a chess-like game that uses lasers and mirrors to obliterate your opponent. However, after seeing over two dozen games play out in the three days since the game was delivered, I can confidently say that the depth of gameplay and strategy available elevates this game from awesome gimmick to boardgame staple of my household. This might be the first game I have ever played that has caused almost every player I've seen to burst into laughter at the sheer joy of its gameplay.

It is a simple enough concept. If a laser hits a mirror at a 45 degree angle, it will make a 90 degree turn. So, by building pieces with imbedded mirrors, a group from Tulane University devised a game that allows players to direct laser beams in a strategic fashion by moving and turning the mirrors on the gameboard. When the laser hits a non-reflective surface on a gamepiece, it is decimated. (Well, it glows slightly and is politely removed from the board, but any game using Egyptian imagery blended with laser warfare is just begging for imagination.) There are a couple small caveats, and that's all the direction you need to start playing.

And the gameplay is surprisingly varied. What is the best way to protect your Pharoah? Are the Obelisks as useless as they seem? Is it easier to manipulate your own laser, or that of your opponent? Even in the short time I have seen the game played, a number of viable opening maneuvers have emerged, as have many defensive and offensive strategies. I'm going to need a 74-pack of AAA batteries by the end of the week...

Categories:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com